The Georgia Film Academy is a collaboration of the University System of Georgia and the Technical College System of Georgia created by state leadership to meet education and workforce needs for high demand careers in Georgia’s film and creative industries.
GFA classes are offered for college credit through more than 20 University System of Georgia and Technical College System of Georgia partner institutions. Classes may also be taken through continuing education programs at several partner institutions. The GFA higher education program offers rigorous professional training, and may lead to union-covered film and television production craft internships and placement in creative industry apprenticeships and jobs.
The GFA provides professional training in the form of Post Production education and AVID editing certification. The GFA also offers high school teacher training in production, content creation, and post production, in partnership with the GaDOE. These provide professional film and television experiences and training, as well as curriculum and resources for teachers across the state.
The GFA is a unique-in-the-nation, state-wide effort which provides you with:
- Multi-disciplinary training by professionals in the film, TV and new media industries.
- In-classroom course work coupled with on-set, hands-on training.
- Opportunity to work on “real world” projects in order to develop recognized film credits, through partnerships with professional productions.
- Hands-on instruction and training working with professional equipment (cameras, sound gear, lights, and more) as well as production trucks, generators and sound studio space.
- One-on-one job counseling to include resume preparation, job research and job placement outreach.
What Kinds of Jobs does the GFA Training Prepare You For?
Entry-level positions both on set and in production offices.
- On Set Production Assistant (PA)
- Art: set dressers, props
- Sound: mixer, boom operator, utility
- Camera: operator, camera assistants (1st and 2nd)
- Electric: on-set lamp operators
- Grip: on-set, dolly grip
- Craft Services
- Script Supervision
- Video Assist
- Office PA