For Filmmakers Looking for Interns
The Georgia Film Academy was created to train Georgians in the below the below-the-line and post production crafts so that they might be hired into what is now a multi-billion dollar industry.
This unique-in-the-nation, statewide effort provides students with training and an opportunity to intern on professional film and television productions. The GFA offers a multiple-course curriculum through more than 20 partner schools in the University System and the Technical College System of Georgia. Students not only receive hands-on, real world experience, but academic credit towards their degree programs.
We have also signed an unprecedented agreement with IATSE, which allows our students to intern in the union-covered crafts.
Here are the rules we abide by in accordance with our agreement with the local 479:
- Students must work a minimum of 20 days on a production in order to get their academic credit.
- Students are paid $7.25 an hour through payroll so as to be covered by Workers comp.
IF PRODUCTION CANNOT PAY FOR INTERNS, THE GEORGIA FILM ACADEMY WILL REIMBURSE PRODUCTION FOR THE SALARIES OF STUDENTS OUT OF OUR WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT FUND.
- Students in an IATSE department can only work 8 1/2 hours including lunch.
- In the IATSE crafts there can only be one intern in a department, and only if the department lead feels that the department is adequately staffed.
- If students are interning in any areas NOT IN THE IATSE jurisdiction, for example working as set PA’s, locations, office, camera, etc., production may hire as many as needed and those interns may work the standard 12 + hours.
We have had this arrangement with over 100 films and TV shows including: Antman, Thor, Pitch Perfect 3, Godzilla, Infinity wars, Bad Boys 3, Zombieland, Tonya, Spiderman, Come Sunday, Burden, Finding Steve McQueen, Superstition, Avengers, Life of The Party, An Actor Prepares, Dumplin’, Candy Jar, Life of The Part Steel Country, Step Sisters, Bad Moms Christmas, Honey 4, Escape Plan 2, and Fam-i-ly, Walking Dead, Star, MacGyver, Black Lighting, The Original, The Walking Dead, Etc.
We hope you will partner with us in helping to train the next generation of on set workers!
Director of Film Workforce Development